Axis Communications, the provider of network video technology, has published its latest whitepaper, “Cyber Security: the biggest threat to retail” which highlights the increasing threat posed by cyber-attacks to today’s retail industry.
The paper documents the measures that should be understood by data controllers, loss prevention & security personnel through to heads of operations to ensure the highest levels of security and provide the appropriate education and training for all key stakeholders to effectively mitigate the mounting cyber security threat.
It has been reported that in the last 12 months there have been 19 significant data breaches, which present a major risk for both retailers and customers. In addition to the immediate disruption and downtime a breach can cause, the damage to the reputation of a business or brand can be lifelong. Furthermore, GDPR related fines from the ICO can now be as much as €20m or 4% of global annual turnover, whichever is higher, and demands that necessary steps be taken to guard against attack and protect existing infrastructure.
Key points covered in the retail whitepaper include:
• Review of cybersecurity challenges – Supply chain attacks, IoT vulnerabilities, the impact of operational downtime
• GDPR, data protection and privacy – Examining the necessary actions to ensure full compliance with the GDPR and DPA 2018
• Video surveillance insights – Understanding how data analysis can inform security and business decisions, and supply chain evaluation
• Managing security effectively – Processes and tools to help the design, development and testing of systems in accordance with cybersecurity principles
• Converged security – A collaborative approach to addressing cybersecurity risks